Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Bad Couple of Days :(

Last week went better as Matt saw both an Ears Nose and Throat doctor about the nose bleeds, as well as a palliative care - pain management doctor.  We liked them both a lot and got some good advice on how to better control the nose bleeds.

Thursday and Friday were good days with no nose bleeds and Matt felt really good.  But......
from Saturday on Matt has taken a big turn for the worse which has caused me some major anxiety.

Matt is now sleeping 20 + hours every day and will not eat but a couple of bites.  He can't sleep in our bed lying flat as he chokes on the blood that drains down into his throat.  Even though the nose bleeds are better controlled, his nose is still extremely raw and bleeds down his throat.  He sleeps sitting in his recliner but his sleep is not good uninterrupted sleep.  He wakes up about every 30 - 60 minutes because his mouth is so dry from breathing out of it.  He has mouth sores that bleed as well so he always feels like he is choking.

On Monday night Gabe came home from track practice complaining of shortness of breath and feeling like his heart was doing funny things.  I took him in to see the doctor who did an EKG on him.  This came back abnormal so they scared us saying that he might have to be flown over to Tucson.  Of course my mind was racing thinking how in the world can I be in Tucson with Gabe, Phoenix with Matt, and take care of my children here!!  I was beyond stressed.

We were sent to the ER where the doc there had a completely different opinion.  He determined that Gabe was dehydrated and that the EKG was normal for someone his size and athletic build.  He sent us home.  We went back to the see the primary care physician the next day to just make sure that he agreed with the ER docs assessment; and after a UA and EKG he also determined that Gabe was ok but had just been dehydrated.  Whew!!!!!!!!   Relief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I called Matt's research doctor today and spoke with the nurse.  I insisted that someone take Matt's side effects seriously and so they have moved his ct scan up to tomorrow morning.  This scan will tell us if Matt's major fatigue and loss of appetite are due to the growth of the cancer.

This journey continues to get scarier and sadder.  Seeing Matt change so much and go through so much is heart wrenching.  I pray that I am up to the task..................................

2 comments:

  1. Oh my dear Niki, praying for you, Matt and the family. Your love for Matt will carry you through this arduous journey. Keep asking the Savior to help you. His suffering was not only for our sins, but for our sorrows. I am SO sorry this is one of the trials your family must experience, my father passed away from esophageal cancer, so I have had a small taste of what you're experiencing. Love to all! Denise Clement

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Denise,
    Thank you for always posting such sweet and uplifting comments. I am so sorry to hear about your father. Cancer is such an ugly enemy that destroys so many.
    My faith in Christ is what keeps me going day in and day out. I know he is there, I have felt him so many times.

    ReplyDelete