Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Moving Forward Slowly but Surely!

Sorry to all that it has taken me so long to write again! I have received many messages from friends asking for an update as my last post was a little too "real" and "heavy".

This past month has been very busy helping out my mother in law whose health has been very poor. She takes care of Matt's disabled brother full time and it was becoming too much for her. We have moved her out of her home temporarily and Matt's brothers are in the process of taking over the guardianship of their brother. Because Matt and I are the only ones that live close by, and Matt is too sick to take on any new things, I have had to be responsible for making sure that Sam (Matt's disabled brother) is being cared for properly. I have been taking care of paper work and making sure that the other brothers know what is going on at all times. We hope to be able to move Sam up to Showlow near a brother in a few months.

So long story short, I haven't written because of obligations other than cancer and everything is basically still the same with Matt right now!. We just returned from the hospital and Matt's blood work has been almost perfect the last two times! Yeah!! My concern though is that Matt has been feeling much worse than usual for the past 4 weeks. This weekend he was feeling very sick and weak and so, although the chemo regimen he is on right now seems to be doing a good job, it is also making him sicker. I worry that he will soon decide that enough is enough and refuse treatment. Matt is still working, but it is becoming more difficult for him to make it through the day.

We do have something to look forward to at the end of the month. Matt will return to the cancer center for a colonoscopy and a ct scan. We will then meet with an interventional radiologist who will give us his opinion whether Matt will be a candidate for liver directed therapy. All of this depends on the amount of cancer in the lungs. If there is too much there, he will be back to chemo only which as you can see from above is not the option we want! Please pray for us that Matt will have a good scan and we will be able to proceed with some other options.

2 comments:

  1. Matt as well as your family are in my family and my personal prayers frequently. Thank you for the update. What a wonderful sister-in-law and daughter in law you are Niki! You serve others even through tough trials. - Your family sets a great example to me and has since we met in 2005.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are things in life there are never adequate words for - If only our hearts could speak - I think of you often, and do pray that you find strength and peace through this trial. We love you!

    Love, Patrice

    ReplyDelete